The involvement of the family of a PPMI participant is critical for successful brain tissue donation.
The PPMI Pathology Core team will coordinate and plan all aspects of the brain tissue donation, but we rely on the PPMI participant’s family or legally authorized representative to inform us of the participant’s declining health.
Please page us at 317-312-2634 with a callback number when your family member has:
- Been placed on hospice or when hospice indicates that your family member is “actively dying”
- Stopped eating AND drinking for more than 48 hours
- Been recently hospitalized
- Been admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) of a hospital
- Contracted aspiration pneumonia, typically occurring after the individual has inhaled food or liquid
Our goal is to finalize all plans for brain tissue donation while the PPMI participant’s health remains stable. If that is not possible, we will do all we can to carry out the participant’s wishes.